Or does it seem to lurch from crisis to crisis?
Can you leave your business for weeks at a time and it still runs ‘profitably’ without you?
All too often we hear from business owners that rather than running like a swiss watch their business is a bit of a lumbering, stuttering jalopy. Goes well in short spurts but then grinds to a halt when hit with a curved ball. Often the business owner spends his time running from one crisis to another. The result is that as a hard working and passionate business owner;
- You are missing out on sales, revenue and profit
- You are struggling to grow the business
- You are having to do re-work at your cost
- You believe you have staff problems
- You work far more hours than you should
- Quality of product or service is declining or erratic
- You are having to deal with unhappy customers / staff
- If you wanted to sell your business, it would be difficult
So what’s the answer you ask?
Good systems, policies, and procedures are a large part of the answer!
“Oh no! Not that stuff!” you reply “I don’t have time to do all that!”
Yes, it does take time but look at the bullet points again! What is it costing you in time, energy, stress and money by not having your systems running like a Swiss watch and getting all your ducks lined up. When you come to sell your business you will have a real problems if you haven’t systemised the business. Systems is an acronym;
The question to ask yourself is “Am I building a business or being self-employed?”
If you want to build a business – a profitable commercial enterprise that will run without you being there – then you have to invest the time ON the business. Any business delivering a product or service CAN be systemised. The more systems and processes you implement the more time you save to reinvest in working ON the business and growing it. Growth will be limited without good systems.
So where do you start?
- Start with tasks that are frequent, repetitive and simple to do
- Address the areas of greatest pain!
- Set up “cross functional teams” to brainstorm the workflow
- Document processes. These days it can be video, flowcharts etc.
- Work the systems and look for ways to improve
- Adopt a culture of continuous and never ending improvement
- START – it is often the start that stops people
As a member of a Business Owners Taking Action (BOTA) Group (online and face to face available) you get help to work on your business and systems and start to free up your time to work more ON growing the business. BOTA groups meet monthly face to face or online.
The Group Process was created by me, John Denton, in 2008 as an effective, affordable, and results-oriented process for small business owners. I offer 3 levels of membership, both face to face and online, as well as private one to one mentoring.
In BOTA Groups there are no competing businesses so members can explore and work on ideas openly and honestly. Members are challenged and kept accountable for growing their business. Expert speakers and members contribute ideas and work on issues to help everyone. READ MORE about BOTA Groups or CLICK HERE TO ENQUIRE NOW!